Wednesday, May 03, 2006

CEO of My Career

A big thank you to all those who gave feedback on the new website! The overall response was very positive. As I organize my writing more and more these days (I have to because I'm paranoid that I'm going to forget to do something) it occurs to me that I should focus on the long term and not get overly distracted by the short term though both are important.

I've been rereading the book by Jim Collins, Good to Great. I read it before, but I don't think I got as much out of it. His book is one of the definitive management studies of the 1990s and very applicable to anyone trying to run their own business. And writing is definitely a business. I'd highly recommend it for those of you who may be struggling with which direction to go. It really gives good insight into planning for the long term and focusing on those things that will get you to your goal rather than being distracted by the everyday crappola. The whole idea of my two year plan (now down to 21 months) is build the freelance(which is short term income) and still concentrate on the books (long term income). It is just taking me a little while to learn to juggle them both.

No comments: